Position Scope: The Web / Graphic Designer will support the planning for and execution of key web design initiatives aimed at increasing the SpokenWeb profile, a SSHRC-funded research-library-community partnership. This position represents 8-12 hours per week on a regular basis and represents a contract position with a possibility for renewal. The incumbent will have access to the office space and necessary software.
Hourly Rate: $18-20 per hour depending on the experience
- Design functional and easy-to-use websites that are cross-compatible among browsers, operating systems, and mobile devices.
- Collaborate with project team on user experience (UX) to create deliverables including user flows, wireframes, mock-ups, and prototypes.
- Create compelling user interfaces (UI) and page layouts using Photoshop / Illustrator and work with the project web developer to implement designs.
- Design additional interactive assets (buttons, icons, graphics, etc.).
- Create branded graphics for web and print.
- Conduct and administer user testing for all interactive projects.
- Maintain the SpokenWeb multimedia library; review incoming multimedia (i.e. photos and videos) for those that meet SpokenWeb suitability guidelines; compile and organize the best of these and accompanying permissions for general use.
- Design posters and other printable assets.
- In-progress undergraduate/graduate degree in web/graphic design or equivalent
- Must be a current student in good academic standing
- At least 1-year experience in a web/graphic design
- Creativity and knowledge of various design styles and trends
- Knowledge of mobile web and web standards
- Demonstrated competency with technology and computer/software skills; Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), of all Adobe CC suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, etc), database management, and comfort switching between a Mac and PC environment
- Familiarity with WordPress CMS
- Working knowledge of motion design and animation is an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Works both independently and cooperatively in a team environment, while maintaining the flexibility to adapt to the changing circumstances and priorities of a dynamic and growing organization
- Ability to perform requested tasks with minimal direction
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to coordinate work on multiple projects
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to take initiative, problem solve and demonstrate creativity
- Ability to work outside of regular hours on occasion
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by March 14, 2019.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents as part of your job application:
- CV and cover letter (combined as one PDF document, please name your document by Last name, First name
- 2 samples of your work (links to your online portfolio, past websites that you developed)
Apply before the deadline by sending your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: Web / Graphic Designer